Thursday, July 20, 2006

Who do you choose?

I gave an illustration the other day that got me thinking more about the nature of sin as well as the nature of repentance. Suppose that a person is involved in an improper relationship. The leaders of the church expose the error and the danger of continuing in such a relationship, identifying it as "idolatrous." By "idolatrous" I mean that the persons involved have put one another before Christ - Christ no longer has preeminence or prominence in the relationship.

Now, the illustration: Before you stands Jesus Christ, in all His glory and holiness. He holds out His hand to you, calling you to "follow Me." In following Him is the promise of hope, of peace, of eternal joy and of the utter bliss of heaven.

Also standing before you is another person. This person is in sin, ugly (spiritually) and defiled. He holds out his hand and says, "follow me." In following him there is no promise of hope, of peace, of eternal joy and only the expectation of difficulty.

Here is the question: Who do you choose?

Now I know that most of us would be quick to say, "I would certainly choose Christ. That's a no-brainer." And while we may be so assured in this circumstance, I wonder how often we actually do forsake Christ in favor of something else. It may not be a relationship that you struggle with. Consider any sin, any vice, any transgression that you hold on to, that you nurture and pursue. The nature of sin causes us to hesitate and consider not following Christ, if even for a season.

I had to talk with one of my children about the addictive nature of video games; the playing of which consumed too much time and rendered many aspects of spiritual life unfruitful. Would not the same picture apply? While Jesus holds out His hand and says, "follow Me" into joy and peace and communion with God, we might be more apt to forsake Him in view of the temporary pleasure of a video game. And just where will the video game lead you in light of eternity? (I am not condemning the playing of video games, rather I am concerned with additive and obsessive devotion to something or someone other than Christ). Examine carefully the people, the things, the hobbies, the commitments you have. Does anything take precedence over Christ?

When the pursuits of our lives leave out Christ; when the people we commune with cause us to neglect or forsake Christ; if the expenditure of our energies leave us with nothing by which to serve Christ; then such things are idols, idols that must be torn down. We must plead with God for a singular devotion and passion for His glory and not our own pleasure and for His purposes and not our own wills. Christ must be our priority and must have preeminence in our lives.

Colossians 1:18
He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything.

My prayer:
"O Lord, forgive me where I have not given You first place in everything. Forgive my stubborn pride, my self-will and all that seeks to rob You of the glory due Your name for saving my soul from the pit of hell. Grant me eyes to behold the beauty of Christ so that I might long for nothing else but to be in His presence and to follow Him. Replace in me the addictive and earthly longings of this heart of stone, so calloused, so lifeless with that heart of flesh the beats with the pulse of Christ. May I not only surrender all, my I forsake all that feeds my busy pride and find the utter joy of serving You in holiness and righteousness. O God, may I never be a stumbling block to Your people - but may Christ always be seen in me."

Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Ed

No comments: