Saturday, July 08, 2006

In View of Your Participation in the Gospel

Yet another brain-numbing day. I have been studying Federal Headship, Imputation, Faith, Repentance, Monergism, and Synergism in preparation for my messages for Sunday. So, for those of you concerned, yes – my mind is still “squishy.”

The day started out with the blessing of men’s prayer breakfast. We had some good food, thanks to Katie W. and proceeded into a good time of prayer and communion with God. Before we prayed, I had the privilege of sharing just a few, nearly random, thoughts concerning Philippians 1:5 –

“in view of your participation in the gospel from the first day
until now.”
I had been dwelling on this verse for the past week, particularly the phrase “your participation in the gospel.” The word for “participation” can also be translated “fellowship” – that is to have in common. This participation on the part of the saints at Philippi was no casual or simply vicarious act. The idea here is that these believers had in common with Paul a vigorous sharing in and of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

This made me question myself, asking, “How do I participate in the gospel?” Perhaps one would think that I have it rather easy in this regard, being a Pastor and all. Of course I participate in the gospel. But, can I hide myself behind my responsibilities at church? Can I so focus upon getting the next lesson done, calling on some members, or even visiting someone in the hospital that I actually fail in participating in the gospel? You see, even in the exercise of “good things” and even “noble things” it is possible to do them for self or even for others and fail to see them done solely and purely for the glory of Jesus Christ.

Also, the tyranny of the urgent, the necessity of getting those things accomplished that seemingly must be accomplished often get in the way of what we, as believers in Christ and those who proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ, spiritually need to accomplish. I suppose my point is this – I want to be an active, effective and fruitful participant in the gospel of Jesus Christ. I even need to ask myself, “Is the activity I am about to engage in more important, more God-honoring than what He has expressly revealed to me via His Word? I am not suggesting that there is no “fun” time or no “down” time. But my life is to bring glory to God in whatever I do (1 Corinthians 10:31) and so I must be mindful of this in everything I do.

I do not want to be a side-line Christian. I do not want to wait there in fear wondering if the Coach will ever send me into the game. I am a believer in Christ. I am an ambassador o f Christ. I am a witness for Christ. I am in the “game” and need to participate accordingly. I want to fellowship with Christ and with all those who are actively engaged in seeking first the kingdom of God and His righteousness (Matthew 6:33).

How do I participate in the gospel? Humm. How do you participate in the gospel?

Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Ed

No comments: