Friday, July 14, 2006

Are You A Distressed Believer!

Have you ever noticed how you can get on a role? Not always the most exciting role? I posted yesterday about the “long day” – and now I feel as though I am “on a role.” I have not gotten to bed before 1 am for the past three nights. Now I am may not be late for some of you, but it is for me. That of course messes up my morning (I used to be a morning person) and seems to just set the whole day on edge.

Oh, how I am grateful for the grace and mercy of God in my life. For even while I am going through some trying and stressful times, having my personal emotions tested by recent events at the church, God yet is ever faithful, giving me encouragement from the Word and from His people.

I read the following from J.C. Ryle's "The Cross of Christ" and was greatly encouraged. I pass it on now:

Are you a distressed believer?

Is your heart . . . pressed down with sickness, tried with disappointments, overburdened with cares? To you I say, "Behold the cross of Christ!" Think whose hand it is that chastens you!

Think whose hand is measuring to you the cup of bitterness which you are now drinking!It is the hand of Him who was crucified! It is the same hand which in love to your soul was nailed to the accursed tree! Surely that thought should comfort and hearten you. Surely you should say to yourself, "A crucified Savior will never lay upon me anything that is not for my good. There is a needs be. It must be well."

Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Ed


PS - I was just reading Steve Camp's Blog and I could not believe my eyes. He published J.C. Ryle's "The Cross of Christ" - So, if you would like to read it, please click here

2 comments:

beepbeepitsme said...

“You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe” Dr. Carl Sagan

Pastor Ed Godfrey said...

Humm...

You can't convince a believer [Sagan in SETI] of anything; for [his] belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe.

SETI - Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence

Oh, I am sorry, I have Sagan's evidence of Extratrerrestrial Intelligience - the Word of God has revealed the greatest Intelligence.

Ed