Monday, July 03, 2006

Considering Isaiah

I would like to say that I woke up all bight-eyed and bushy-taled this morning, but that was not the case. It seems I have attached myself to a pesky summer head cold. I can hardly talk, it hurts to swallow and I feel as though I am walking about in a dreary fog. Yet, in spite of the cold - Praise the Lord!

Our family devotions are taking us through the book of Isaiah right now. Since I was not in a very talkative mood, I made my way to www.monergism.com where I heard would be found a series of mp3's by Mark Dever that outline every book in the Bible; and then have my family listen to his synopsis on Isaiah. Let me tell you, I was not disappointed. Dever offered some wonderful insights and considerations that will help all of us as we continue reading and meditating through this great book.

If it is right to say I had a complaint about Dever's summary (and this is by no means a real complaint) - it would be that there was no real outline of where he was going. To be sure, Dever made wonderful transitions and I could clearly hear where he was going from point to point. However, when I asked my children to tell me what they had heard in some orderly fashion, well, let's just say the fumbled around. So then, I shared with them an outline of what I heard, which seemed to help everyone and so now I share this with you. I might need to go back and listen to the message again to make sure that I did not miss a point, but I gleaned from the message four key points to the book of Isaiah:

First, Isaiah is a book concerning the REBELLION of man; Isaiah begins the book describing the rebellion of Israel and throughout the prophecy reveals the man's rebellion and rejection of God.

Isaiah 1:2-5
2 Listen, O heavens, and hear, O earth; For the LORD speaks, " Sons I have reared and brought up, But they have revolted against Me. 3 "An ox knows its owner, And a donkey its master's manger, But Israel does not know, My people do not understand." 4 Alas, sinful nation, People weighed down with iniquity, Offspring of evildoers, Sons who act corruptly! They have abandoned the LORD, They have despised the Holy One of Israel, They have turned away from Him. 5 Where will you be stricken again, As you continue in your rebellion? The whole head is sick And the whole heart is faint.

Second, Isaiah is a book about the RIGHTEOUSNESS of God. Throughout the book God is reveals as the Sovereign, Providential God who does as He has planned and does what He does in perfect holiness and righteousness. There is none who compare to the majesty, the power, the wonder, the love and the "RIGHT"ness of God.

Isaiah 45:19
"I have not spoken in secret, in some dark land; I did not say to the offspring of Jacob, 'Seek Me in a waste place'; I, the LORD, speak righteousness, declaring things that are upright."

Third, Isaiah presents to us the REMEDY of God for man's sinfulness. Isaiah painstakingly offers forth the prophetic vision of Jesus Christ, the Messiah as the remedy to both Israel's as well as mankind's condition before God. Jesus will be the perfect ruler (Isaiah 9:6) and offer Himself for the spiritual healing of men.

Isaiah 52:7
How lovely on the mountains Are the feet of him who brings good news, Who announces peace And brings good news of happiness, Who announces salvation, And says to Zion, "Your God reigns!"

Isaiah 53:3-5
3 He was despised and forsaken of men, A man of sorrows and acquainted with grief; And like one from whom men hide their face He was despised, and we did not esteem Him. 4 Surely our griefs He Himself bore, And our sorrows He carried; Yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, Smitten of God, and afflicted. 5 But He was pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him, And by His scourging we are healed.

Finally, the book of Isaiah speaks about the REDEEMED of God - and the redeemed in the book of Isaiah are not merely those of Israel, but all who turn to God.

Isaiah 59:20
"A Redeemer will come to Zion, And to those who turn from transgression in Jacob," declares the LORD."

Isaiah 56:8
The Lord GOD, who gathers the dispersed of Israel, declares, "Yet others I will gather to them, to those already gathered."

Isaiah 63:16
For You are our Father, though Abraham does not know us and Israel does not recognize us. You, O LORD, are our Father, our Redeemer from of old is Your name.

Isaiah 66:2
But to this one I will look, To him who is humble and contrite of spirit, and who trembles at My word.

Isaiah 55:1-11
1 "Ho! Every one who thirsts, come to the waters; And you who have no money come, buy and eat. Come, buy wine and milk Without money and without cost. 2 "Why do you spend money for what is not bread, And your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, And delight yourself in abundance. 3 "Inline your ear and come to Me. Listen, that you may live; And I will make an everlasting covenant with you, According to the faithful mercies shown to David. 4 "Behold, I have made him a witness to the peoples, A leader and commander for the peoples. 5 "Behold, you will call a nation you do not know, And a nation which knows you not will run to you, Because of the LORD your God, even the Holy One of Israel; For He has glorified you." 6 Seek the LORD while He may be found; Call upon Him while He is near. 7 Let the wicked forsake his way And the unrighteous man his thoughts; And let him return to the LORD, And He will have compassion on him, And to our God, For He will abundantly pardon. 8 "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," declares the LORD. 9 "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts. 10 "For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, And do not return there without watering the earth And making it bear and sprout, And furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; 11 So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it."


If you are interested in listening to some of Dever's book outlines you may find them at - Click Here

Then scroll down to "Courses on Scripture" and look for Dever's Messages.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Ed

1 comment:

Pastor Ed Godfrey said...

So easily distracted, huh? But, if you are going to be distracted - what a way to go!

Keep studying brother! You are almost there.

Ed