Friday, March 30, 2007

What Am I Willing To Give?

This morning’s Bible reading with my family revealed an interesting progression that challenged me and so I thought I would note it here in my blog. We read from Luke 18-21 and while we were a day behind in our regular reading, sometimes it is nice to read a larger block of Scripture because then you see things you might otherwise miss.

In the reading today, I noticed three different people and the descriptions of what they were willing to give in following the Lord. In Luke 18 we read of the rich, young ruler, who, upon asking the question, “What shall I do to inherit eternal life?” and thinking he had kept the Law of God, was told by Jesus,

Luke 18:22
One thing you still lack; sell all that you possess and distribute it to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.


And what was the response of the rich young ruler?

Luke 18:23
But when he had heard these things, he became very sad, for he was extremely rich.


And then Jesus goes on to explain –

Luke 18:24
How hard it is for those who are wealthy to enter the kingdom of God!

There is a lot that could be considered from this account, but suffice it that this rich young ruler was unwilling to relinquish anything of his self-obtained life.

The next character we come across is that little man named Zacchaeus, the chief tax-collector of Luke 19. He, like the rich young ruler, sought out Jesus. But unlike the rich young ruler, the prospect of fellowshipping and following Christ was of more importance to Zacchaeus than worldly possessions. Look at what he said,

Luke 19:8
Behold, Lord, half of my possessions I will give to the poor, and if I have defrauded anyone of anything, I will give back four times as much.

This act clearly demonstrated a converted heart on the part of Zacchaeus. In fact, Jesus even says that salvation had come to Zacchaeus. He truly stands as a testimony of one who, in comparison to the treasure of Christ, was willing to give it all up whereas the rich young ruler was clearly unwilling.

But there was a third character in our reading that caught my attention – do you know who it is? It is the widow and the giving of her two copper coins. Of the three characters mentioned who did something with their money, the widow stands out as the one who truly gave the most, for Jesus said of her,

Luke 21:3-4
Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all of them; for they all out of their surplus put into the offering; but she out of her poverty put in all that she had to live on.


In the grand scheme of things I don’t generally consider myself a rich young ruler (how can I? I just turned 40 yesterday). And I don’t really see myself like Zacchaeus, having much to offer back. Rather, fiscally speaking, I might see myself more like the widow, but I wonder how willing I am to put out all that I have to live on to the use and glory of God? And there lies the challenge: what am I willing to live on and am I willing to take all that I have and all that I am and offering it, small though it may be, to the use and glory of God?

1 Corinthians 10:31
Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

May this be the pursuit of my heart, O Lord.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Ed

No comments: