Thursday, March 22, 2007

So What?

What is knowledge? How would you define it? What is wisdom? How would you define it? I think we might all readily agree that there is a subtle yet important distinction between knowledge and wisdom.

Some might define knowledge as the accumulation of facts and data, perhaps in some organized fashion. In this sense we might conclude that the Encyclopedia Britannica is filled with knowledge. But what of wisdom? In my understanding, wisdom is the practical application of knowledge. In other words, it is one thing to know something and yet quite another to do it or do it well.

I have spent much time over the past couple of weeks studying, gaining knowledge on the dental procedure I was to have done on me called an “apicoectomy” which is a fancy way of saying the amputation of the tips of the roots of a tooth. But, with this knowledge has not come the wisdom to perform the surgery. After I had it done and it was learned that my wife also needed the same exact procedure, she did not say, “Ed, why don’t you go ahead and do this to me yourself.” Why not? Because I had no wisdom or practical experience in such a matter.

I have been impressed lately of the great responsibility of the preacher to communicate the absolute truth of God’s word to the people. But what is the end or goal of preaching? Do I want the people to simply know the facts about the Bible? Is it important to know thing like that in the book of Hebrews there are thirteen chapters; that the theme of the book is the Superiority of Jesus Christ; that it speaks of the inability of the Law of Moses to transform a heart and the provision of the New Covenant promises to those who follow after Christ? Is it important that we learn the great doctrinal truths of man’s inability and Christ sufficiency in salvation? We do well to say, “Yes” and “Amen.” But is there something more – something beyond knowledge - that I as a preacher of the Word of God should be aiming and hoping for? To this I say yes, something much more. For as good as the knowledge of the Superiority of Christ is, it is of little value to anyone who does not know how to apply it to his own life, to his own situation and circumstance. To put this an other way, to rightly know the gospel truth as contained in the book of Hebrews or any book of the Bible, is to have such truth make a radical impact upon your life.

Would we not agree that it is possible to know facts about the gospel and yet not ever know (by experience – or wisdom) the gospel? There is a need to apply the truths in such a way that they radically impact our lives. This is what the apostle Paul was getting at when he wrote these words to the Philippian believers:

9 And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge (what is important) and all discernment (application of that knowledge), 10 so that you may approve the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless (radial change) until the day of Christ…
I certainly don’t know where you are in your “walk with Christ” but I pray that you are seeking daily opportunities to put your “knowledge” of Christ into practical usage; always asking the question, “so what?” If I believe these things, then “so what?” “How are these things to impact my everyday life?” May we not be content with mediocrity and half-hearted devotion. Let us wholly belong and demonstrate our devotion to Christ.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Ed

No comments: