Tuesday, March 27, 2007

A Glorious Hope - and a New Poll

It wasn't as though there were vast numbers in last week's poll, "Your favorite time for Bible study" - but it is time to move on. The final results were as follows:

What time of day do you most utilize for Bible reading and prayer?

Answers Percent
1. Morning 78%
2. Afternoon 11%
3. Evening 11%
4. Late night 0%

We will see what kind of data we can retrieve on this new poll.

Some of you are still waiting for the post "Dental Joys" - I have not forgotten, its just that we (my wife and I) continue to enjoy the process to get to the joys. My wife is having another "apicoectomy" this morning. Just about a month ago I did not even know what an apicoectomy was and now we have had three between the two of us. It would be my hope that that would be enough of an experience.

Theologically, I might suggest again that the term "Dental Joys" is an oxymoron. I must fall back on my only hope for joy - the beauty and sufficiency of Christ. How's that for sounding all spiritual? All of these thing serve to remind me how fail the human body is, that my wife's and my dental "sufferings" are, in the grand scheme of things, nothing, but they do help us long all the more for the day when this body of death will be clothed with immortality, no longer ravaged by the devastating effects of sin, enable to worship and glorify the Lord without the presence of sin.

I may have posted this before, but I will share something I learned from a message I heard by John MacArthur several years ago (paraphrased and adapted). Our salvation is three-fold:

1. From the power of sin (at conversion, it is no longer to control the believer - Romans 6:6-7)

2. From the penalty of sin (Romans 6:23)

3. From the presence of sin (Revelation 21:27; 1 John 3:1-6 - expressing our hope and expectation to be free from sin when Christ returns)

What a glorious hope and expectation! This makes any dental woes nothing in light of such a hope.


Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Ed

No comments: