Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Shepherd's Conference - the Day Before




Psalm 34:8
O taste and see that the LORD is good; How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!

God is indeed good. Now I know you didn’t need me to travel from Rogers, Arkansas to Chicago to Los Angeles to know that, but I thought I would begin this way. Our trip started off with a bang. We arrived at XNA about 7:10 am with a departure of 7:40 am to Dallas, TX to pick up our connecting flight to LAX. We had not but checked in when we heard an announcement over the PA system calling for us to immediately check in at the gate. I said my goodbyes to my family and then Jase and I proceeded through the TSA security check. And boy, did I make a mistake. I had a bottle of water attached to my backpack. I saw the security people taking a hard look at it in x-ray and call attention to it. I was reprimanded, being told that I could not have it on the flight and that I would either have to drink it right there in front of them or throw it away. Hey! Its just water. We threw it out and proceeded to the gate.

Upon arrival at the gate, we were told that our flight to Dallas was arrive too late for us to make our connection and that they were holding the flight to Chicago for us (it was supposed to leave at 7:20 am and it was already 7:25 am. So the rushed us on the jet and off we went to Chicago, without really knowing what was going to happen. We were not even sure that our luggage was going to make it with us.

About an hour and 15 minutes into our flight, we were told about our connecting flight in Chicago. Boy, did they help us out. Our flight to Chicago was to arrive about 9:00 am and our departure to LAX was 9:35 am. Only thing is, we did not get off the Arkansas flight until 9:15 am and had to hoof it to a different concourse (which we did in record fashion). We made it to our next flight just as the attendant was calling for final notice for boarding. Whew! We just made, getting on the jet (a big 767) about 9:30 am. But then we were told that maintenance had to fix a water gauge before we could leave. We sat in the plane until 10:15 am. Then, off to LAX.

The flight was smooth and uneventful. Mostly we slept because the “complimentary” movie was “Happy Feet”. While the movie was complimentary, you had to pay $2 if you wanted a head set to hear the movie. What’s up with that? So I just listened to my MP3 player, closed my eyes and occasionally looked up to see some penguins (in the movie) dancing (not to my music).

LAX was busy as ever but we had no problem and much to our surprise, our luggage had made it! We were shuttled over to the rental car facility and were soon on our way. Our first destination was to Long Beach, CA to visit my Aunt and Uncle. First we stopped at a Southern California classic eatery, “In and Out Burger” and then made our way to my Aunt’s – having a nice visit, catching up on things and getting some directions to our next stop – Seal Beach.

For those of you that don’t know, I was born in Long Beach and lived my early years in Seal Beach. Jase and I walked down Main Street and on down to the Seal Beach Pier. We made a beeline straight for the sand and the ocean. I got very nostalgic and before long, one of the Elders of Hope CBC along with its Pastor were getting their feet wet in the mighty Pacific Ocean. This was a first for Jase and a seemingly long overdue trip down memory lane for yours truly. We called our families, took some pictures and then walked up to the pier. At the end of the pier we met a man who had just reeled in a fish (not a huge one) and began talking to him. Don, we soon learned, was a believer (attending Greg Laurie’s church – Calvary Chapel). Pretty cool.

After the pier we looked up one of the homes I used to live in. We found it, but it had been radically updated with a huge addition. But it still brought back memories. From there we proceeded to a little Greek Café recommended to us by my Uncle Jimmy (who is Greek). We had a great meal (had to splurge a bit – after calling Laura for permission). Jase had stuffed Salmon and I had Greek Style Lamb Chops. We began the meal with a traditional appetizer called “Saganaki” – or “Flaming Cheese” and ended it with a piece of Baklava and Greek Custard. It was so good.

It was now about 7:45 pm (9:45 pm to our bodies) and so we made our way up to Northridge where we would be staying with Katie W’s parents. They were expecting us and had everything wonderfully prepared. After getting settled, Jase read a bit while I uploaded some pictures and typed this review of the day. It is now about 10 pm here (Midnight CT) and I need to get rest for tomorrow and the Shepherd’s conference. I will keep you all posted on the events. For now – good night!

Soli Deo Gloria,

Ed (and Jase)


ps - pictures may be a while in coming as it takes a long time to upload in the Grace Community Church sanctuary.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you guys are having a good time! We're looking forward to hearing all that you're learning at the conference. Jase, if you go back to the beach, bring me a shell.

Mrs. Jase

Anonymous said...

Your visit sounds like it went well, and I can't believe that you ate Greek food without your family. But, really I am glad that you got the opportunity to enjoy yourself. May God continue to bless your trip. Jimmy e-mailed to say he enjoyed your visit.

Anonymous said...

We are so glad that you made it to California safely. We all miss you guys very much. Please keep up with the blog...we need to know what is happenin' with you!

Luv ya all!
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Are your bringing me and IN-N-OUT shirt??

-N. Lea