Friday, August 25, 2006

Sorry, I Missed

Sorry that I missed my post yesterday. I was recovering from my two root canals. What this really meant was that I was once again playing catch up on all the things I had fallen behind on.

As noted previously, not only did I have these two root canals (and crown fittings for a total of 3 1/2hours in the chair), but my wife had a follow up meeting with her doctor to go over some test results. Of course, there was a bit of anxiety with all this, not knowing what the doctor was going to say.


Philippians 4:6
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.


The good news is that by and large, Laura is the picture of health with her blood work. Of course, this didn't explain some of the other issues she is struggling with but we have a clean bill of health and this couple with watching what we eat may prove to be helpful.

So then, what is the Lord trying to teach us? Well, among other things, trust and dependence. I never want to look at the level of my trust and dependence in the Lord as a static thing. Just as believers are called to have their "love abound still more and more in real knowledge and discernment" (Philippians 1:9), I desire my trust and dependence to abound still more and more. May my trust in the LORD be a dynamic and growing aspect of my life - to be able to say with Job, "Though He slay me, I will hope in Him" (Job 13:5).

And why would I have such a hope and trust in the LORD. Consider what Job says a bit later,"But He knows the way I take; When He has tried me, I shall come forth as gold" (Job 23:10).

I know it may be hard for some of you to believe, but yes, even I shall come forth as gold. I certainly don't feel like it. And sometimes the evidence of such seems lacking in my life. However, my assurance is not based upon my performance, upon my keeping some rituals or saying the right prayers or making the right sacrifices. No, my assurance is based simply and solely upon the merits, works, and intercession of Christ who has promised in His Word,

John 10:27-28
27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; 28 and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.

As the familiar and wonderful hymn says:

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness
I dare not trust the sweetest frame
But wholly lean on Jesus' name

On Christ the solid Rock I stand
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

Praise the LORD that He is so faithful even when I am not. Praise the LORD that He is generous and gracious beyond measure. Praise the LORD that His forgiveness is great, in fact, greater than all my sin. For He is more willing to love and forgive than I am to sin. Truly "salvation belongs to the LORD" (Jonah 2:9) and He gives it to His people to the glory and praise of His name.

I am so grateful that even when I miss a post, my God misses nothing!

Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Ed

No comments: