Saturday, August 19, 2006

Are you suffering from ESS?

Its been one of those interesting weeks. Maybe you have had one like this; one where a lot gets accomplished yet not that which you intended? One of the things that the Lord has taught me over the years is to "roll with the punches." Being a rather "ducks in a row" kind of person, this has been a hard lesson; one that I still have to learn.

But one of the highlights of this past week for me was taking a break on Friday to have lunch with one of men in the church. It was a blessed time of fellowship as we spoke concerning the hand of God on our lives and examined the many blessings He has brought us. Both of us have busy schedules that require planning and organization. As we were discussing this, I shared how I can be easily distracted from one task to start work on another. In this world of syndromes and sicknesses, I felt that it was only fair to regard my propensity for distraction as a legitimate syndrome. That way I would have an excuse for any behavior that did not fit into my perception of reality. So, I am happy to announce the latest syndrome. I call it ESS. And just what does ESS stand for?

Easily Sidetracked Syndrome!

I was careful to run a google search to make sure no one has claimed this for themselves. Now, before you laugh, I have been told that there is a syndrome and drug for what is called "Shaky Leg Syndrome" (when you insistently bounce your leg up and down or back and forth - which I also seem to have). It is officially known as Restless Leg Syndrome and here is an official write up concerning it:

Do you dread long business meetings, going to the movies, or traveling on an airplane because you know your restless legs won't let you sit still? You just know you'll have to get up to relieve the discomfort in your restless legs — disturbing your work colleagues, other moviegoers, and fellow passengers.

If this sounds familiar, you may have Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS), which includes mild, moderate, and severe symptoms and affects approximately 1 in 10 adults in the U.S. RLS is a common medical condition characterized by an uncontrollable urge to move the legs when sitting or lying down.

Note that this is a "common medical condition." Even as I write this my leg is bouncing up and down. So, if Restless Leg Syndrome exists (www.requip.com), why can't I have ESS (Easily Sidetracked Syndrome)? While I have no intention of finding some kind of drug relief for my ailment, I do think I should have an excuse for when I walk from my office into the Worship Center to get something and end up working on something completely different. So, I will work on the write up for EDS. Any thoughts or help?

For those who do not suffer from ADD yet find themselves often easily distracted, you may have Easily Sidetracked Syndrome (ESS), which includes mild, moderate and severe symptoms that affects approximately one more persons in the U.S. ESS is a common medical condition* characterized by an unintentional brain fade from one's current activity to another. (*this statement has not been proven by the FDA).

I would like to know if any of you can relate and how you have learned to cope with ESS. I realize that this is not the most spiritual of discussions, yet it has been a long week and I just neeeded a break.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Ed

1 comment:

Annette said...

been there