Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Path of the Harlot (Proverbs 7:10-21)

Ok, here is my confession. Often times I simply use this blog to post things that I might like to quickly recall for a latter time. Many times I will work on messages and articles in more than one place (my office, at home, or out on my laptop). Generally speaking, if I am not in my office, yet working on something, it is at such times that I wish I could remember or access something I had read or composed as of late. So, my partial remedy is to post various thoughts on the blog for easy access later.

Several years ago, while I was doing a youth study on purity, I composed this little chart plotting the course of the harlot from Proverbs 7. As I was reading through Proverbs the other day, I was reminded of this chart and thought I would post it for your consideration.

We live in a time that is becoming progressively more open about sexuality and too many parents are not guiding their children with regard to what is and what is not appropriate. While there is much to admonish young men with, I do believe that young women need to be warned concerning attitudes and actions that might be placing them on the path of the harlot.

Proverbs 7:6-9
6 For at the window of my house I looked out through my lattice, 7 And I saw among the naive, And discerned among the youths A young man lacking sense, 8 Passing through the street near her corner; And he takes the way to her house, 9 In the twilight, in the evening, In the middle of the night and in the darkness.

The passage begins by showing us a naive, undiscerning young man in the wrong place at the wrong time and then proceeds to unfold the path of the harlot.

Proverbs 7:10
And behold, a woman comes to meet him, Dressed as a harlot and cunning of heart.

1. Forward (10a) – she comes to him

2. Inappropriately dressed (10b) – dressed as a harlot, i.e. seductively

- - - - - - -

Proverbs 7:11
She is boisterous and rebellious, Her feet do not remain at home;

3. Loud and obnoxious (11a)

4. Rebellious (11b)

5. Feet do not stay at home (11c) – does not want to be there

- - - - - - -

Proverbs 7:12
She is now in the streets, now in the squares, And lurks by every corner.

6. Inappropriate places (12) – purposely in the wrong place at the wrong time

- - - - - - -

Proverbs 7:13
So she seizes him and kisses him And with a brazen face she says to him:

7. Pushy and physical (13)

- - - - - - -

Proverbs 7:14
"I was due to offer peace offerings; Today I have paid my vows."

8. Religious (14) – will talk the talk

- - - - - - -

Proverbs 7:15
"Therefore I have come out to meet you, To seek your presence earnestly, and I have found you.
"

9. Deceptive (15) “you’re the only one for me”

- - - - - - -

Proverbs 7:16-17
"I have spread my couch with coverings, With colored linens of Egypt. I have sprinkled my bed With myrrh, aloes and cinnamon."

10. Plots evil to make it look good (16-17)

- - - - - - -

Proverbs 7:18
"Come, let us drink our fill of love until morning; Let us delight ourselves with caresses."

11. Selfish (18)

- - - - - - -

Proverbs 7:19-20
19 "For my husband is not at home, He has gone on a long journey; He has taken a bag of money with him, At the full moon he will come home."

12. Unfaithful (19-20)- if she is this way with others, she will be this way with you.

- - - - - - -

Proverbs 7:21
With her many persuasions she entices him;

13. Persuasive (21a)

- - - - - - -

Proverbs 7:21
With her flattering lips she seduces him.

14. Talkative (21b) – talks too much

- - - - - - -

Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Ed


No comments: