Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Persisitence and Intensity

So, there is a new member of the Godfrey household. No, we did not have a baby (although Laura wouldn’t mind). Rather, we have acquired a new “furry” family member.

About 9 months ago we lost a beloved cat due to unknown causes. We had come home from a church function to find our 7-year-old cat dead on the floor. It was obviously a “hard” time (relatively speaking – for there are far worse things). We were all broken up. At the time I could not think about “replacing” the cat. Yet, just a couple of weeks ago I told my children that I would be willing to get another cat. However, I had some stipulations. The previous cat was named Amico (Italian for “friend). He was a predominately white cat with some black on his face and a totally black tail. But he was also a longhaired cat – nice and furry, fluffy and squishable. If we were to get another cat, I wanted a fluffy, fur-ball like Amico.

Last Monday, I was doing some cleaning on the back porch about 10 pm (unusually late for me to be out doing such a thing). As I was hosing down our carpet cleaner, I heard and then saw this little fur-ball, waltzing right up to me, excited, friendly, hungry and longhaired.

I brought the little animal in and immediately the family was excited. We feed her (for she was quite hungry) and she quickly got accustomed to us all. The next day we put some posters up to see if anyone had lost the cat. We had no takers. It was obvious to us that she was a stray, particularly when it comes to food. While she ate up greedily the cat food we gave her, a couple of nights ago we ordered pizza. My daughter left a large piece of crust on the coffee table and the cat got a hold of it. Let me tell you – it was nothing short of death to approach her to get it. She ran off with this pizza crust as large as her – a sight to behold. Every time I tried to take the crust, she would growl and thrash out. It wasn’t worth the effort.

Then, on another night, as we were eating chicken, I thought that she was going to go ballistic as she persistently tried to get on the table to steal some chicken. She had a one-track mind and nothing was to deter her.

As funny as the sight was, it reminded me of the intensity we ought to have when it comes to the things of God. Am I so intense as to keep hold of the truths of God? Am I so persistent so as to gain the knowledge of God? As our Lord Jesus said,

“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied” (Matthew 5:6).

The Lord calls us to persistence and intensity when it comes to knowing and following Him.

“If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it” (Luke 9:23-24).

These are “intense” words that require the utmost of diligence and persistence to see accomplished on a “daily” basis. We are reminded by the apostle Paul in Galatians 6:9,

“Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary.”

Lord, may I hunger after You. May my flesh yearn for You. May my spirit long for you with all that is in me. I fall so short and find my heart following after such vain things. Keep Your servant from presumptuous sins and a heart to follow You. Amen.

John 6:27
“Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you, for on Him the Father, God, has set His seal.”


By the way, we finally came up with a name for the new cat. It took a while but we wanted to stay with the Italian motif (having lost Amico). So, the cat’s name is “Tiamo” which is a compound of “Ti Amo” meaning “I love you” in Italian (to continue in my ethnic heritage - yes, a blonde, blue-eyed Italian).

Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Ed

3 comments:

Monk-in-Training said...

Pastor Ed,
What a charming story! And such a great metaphor to point us toward the Lord and His word.

In my tradition we celebrate the entire Creation on St. Francis' feast day (Oct 4) since he loved animals so much and is their Patron.

I am sure it is a bit unsual for you, but I would like to offer this prayer for your family and this new pet.


Most high, almighty Lord, our Creator, Yours is the praise, the glory, the honor and all blessings! To You alone do all things belong. Be praised for giving us the animals, birds and fish which fill Your world.

We now ask You to grant Tiamo, this family's cat, Your Fatherly care and healing power to take away all fear or illness she may have from being a stray.

She has a growing trust in her new family as we have a growing and living trust in You; We are on this earth together to give one another friendship, affection, and caring. Your goodness is turned upon every living thing and Your grace flows to all Your creatures.

You inspired St. Francis to call all of Creation his brothers and sisters. O God, Your world is wonderful. May we all come into Your even greater world of the Kingdom of Heaven where we shall see even more wonderful things and where we shall live and love for ever.

This I ask through Jesus Christ our Lord, Who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, One God forever.

Pastor Ed Godfrey said...

Dear Monk,

As you noted, what you offered is indeed "a bit unsual" for me. Nonetheless you offered a beautiful prayer and since it is my desire to glorify God in all that I do, even when eating and drinking (1 Corinthians 10:31), then I also desire God to be so honored in the care and affection of my pets.

You referred to St. Francis and so I quote from the opening lines of his famous hymn -

All creatures of our God and King
Lift up your voice and with us sing,
Alleluia! Alleluia!

Soli Deo Gloria,

Ed

Monk-in-Training said...

Thank you Pastor Ed.
I am keenly aware that your experience in the Gospel life is quite likely very different from my own, and I try to be sensitive to any possiblity causing any sort of problem in the more Evangelical blogs. That being said, I appreciate your gracious welcome and I look forward to hearing more about your cat, since I have two of my own.

† Aperi, Domine, os meum ad benedicendum nomen sanctum

Open thou, O Lord, my mouth to bless thy holy Name