Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A Morning Prayer

Heavenly Father,

I arise this day with a keen awareness of my feebleness, my fickleness, and my sinfulness. My heart longs to bring You glory, to honor Your name and to magnify Your Beloved Son. Yet even with these noble thoughts, I know that sin follows me – it follows me into my prayer time; it follows me into my reading of the Word and it follows me into every situation in which I might be a witness of Your greatness. How I long for that day when I will be wholly and truly freed from sinning – when I shall gaze upon the lovely face of my Savior – Jesus Christ.

Until such time, I beg of You, Lord – protect me and allow me unfettered access to the knowledge of Your grace –

7 How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God! And the children of men take refuge in the shadow of Your wings. 8 They drink their fill of the abundance of Your house; And You give them to drink of the river of Your delights. 9 For with You is the fountain of life; In Your light we see light. (Psalms 36:7-9).

Deliver me, O Lord, from the snares of evil one. Keep me, O Lord, from the temptations of this world. But above all, O Lord, guard me and guide me away from trusting in self or of even looking to self. May my flesh be crucified and may I walk by Your Spirit. Oh, let me walk by the Spirit, and I will not carry out the desire of the flesh. For my flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh… But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. Now, since I belong to Christ Jesus, I have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

May I live for You this day – be glorified in my life to such an extent that people do not see me, but rather they see the lovely form of my blessed Redeemer – even Jesus Christ.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Ed

2 comments:

N. L. White said...

Thank you Pastor Ed. So often my rising thoughts fall short. It's a blessing to be challenged.

Pastor Ed Godfrey said...

Oh that my thoughts would even rise - the flesh seeking to ground me before I take off.

Ed