Thursday, March 30, 2006

So Much for My Free Will!

Psalm 141:3-4
3 Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips. 4 Do not incline my heart to any evil thing, to practice deeds of wickedness with men who do iniquity; and do not let me eat of their delicacies.

So much for my free will!

The proponents of the free will of man have one huge problem - man's nature, propensity and utter inclination to sin. The heart of man will always choose to act according to its greatest desire and therefore, without the gracious hand of God to intervene and set my heart straight, I will always disappoint and fail God.

The prayer of all the saints through all generations, who understand the condition of their hearts, yet want to please God, pray that the gracious benevolence of the Sovereign One would reach down and change them that they might be enabled to rightly serve Him.

O LORD, I need You to guard my mouth, because in myself, I cannot.

O LORD, I plead with You to give me the words to say, words that are "good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear" (Ephesians 4:29) for I shall surely fail without Your help.

O LORD, do not incline my heart toward anything evil, for evil is so enticing, so tempting and I am so weak as to give into that sin for a season. Protect me from myself, I pray.

O LORD, may I find pleasure, joy and strength, not in the company of those who do not regard you, but with those who fear and love You.

O LORD, may I not long for their delicacies, the food of their preparation, morsels that appear so appetizing and yet will poison the stomach. May I feast on Your Word - "How sweet are Your words to my taste! Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" (Psalm 119:103).

O LORD, deliver me from my will and let me know, experience and walk in Your perfect will, enjoying the sweet fellowship that comes from intimate communion with You.

Not my will, but Your will be done!

Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Ed

No comments: