Sunday, May 13, 2007

Sorry for the Hiatus

I must apologize for the "hiatus" (is that how that is spelled - and does it mean what I think it does?) [I was graciously offered the correct spelling of "hiatus" not "hiadas" as I previsouly had it] – there have been a number of issues and projects that have so occupied my time that I simply haven’t been able to make a post in – well – too long. And even as I make this post, I must confess that I do not know when the next will be as my family and I will be taking a few days off, going to Texas to visit some friends. We are looking forward to our trip as on Monday we will take in a Texas Rangers vs. Anaheim Angels (life long Angels fan) ball game and then on Tuesday we are taking Luke and Beth to Six Flags (their first time ever).

Now the strangest thing happened this past week. It all began last Sunday evening when one of my friends pointed out that I had a screw in the back right tire on my van. The tire was low, but I was going to try to drive it home. I didn’t make it a few feet through the church parking lot before it was apparent that the tire needed to be changed. The exciting thing was, there were three men from the church that changed it for me.

I took the tire to Wal-mart only to be informed that the screw was too close to the sidewall and therefore was unable to be fixed. This coupled with the fact that the front two tires were getting dangerously low on tread and that we were planning to take this trip to Texas prompted me to bite the bullet and purchase four new tires (at Sam’s Club – better deal; better tires) – Ouch to the pocket book. But in the end, I felt good, knowing that we would be treading well on our upcoming trip.

Now the strange part. Yesterday as the men were gathering for our month Men’s prayer, the same friend who informed me of the screw in the back right tire of my van, walks in, and with the straightest of faces says, “You have a screw in the back right tire of your car.” I replied, “Yeah, right!” To which he said, “No, you really have a screw in the back right tire of your car.” So, he followed me out to my car (not my van) and sure enough, in the same exact location as the screw in my van tire was a screw in my car tire.

Now, is that just coincidence or should I be paranoid? I am not aware of any construction through which I have been driving. My wife and I managed to get the car home without incident and will just let it sit while we go off on vacation. But I still can’t believe the odds of getting two screws in the same exact location on two different tires. But I guess as they say somewhere, “Them the berries!”

I would like to remind or encourage everyone to visit the recently revamped website for the church (
www.HopeCBC.org). Not only is there a new look, but we also have updated Sermon texts along with - MP3’s of the messages. Additionally we have our current Home Bible Fellowship series, “The Knowledge of the Holy” by A.W. Tozer along with study questions on the site. Take a look around and prayerfully you will be blessed.

Well – it is Sunday morning and while I have been up for a while and think I have everything ready, I’d better turn my attention to the more pressing matters of heart preparation for preaching and worship. If I am able to connect, I will post summaries of our days in Texas. If not, then check back in a few days. Have a blessed week and live heartily as unto the Lord!

Colossians 3:23-24
23 Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, 24 knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Ed

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hiatus (hiatus or hiatuses) 1 an opening or gap; a break in something which should be continuous. 2 grammar the use of two consecutive vowels in adjacent syllables without any intervening consonant.

Annette said...

hiatus... :)

Pastor Ed Godfrey said...

Okay - thanks for the spell check (wonder why "msword" does not pick that up)?

So now what, do I change it and act as though it was never wrong?