Monday, May 14, 2007

Off to Texas

Obviously by the pictures below we made it to Texas – at least to the visitor’s center! Our trip was smooth and relaxing. We actually listened to an audio book of Ernest Hemingway’s “The Old Man and the Sea” – and then we talked about the old man’s persistence. O that I would be as devoted and persistent to Christ, who is my inheritance, as that old man was to catching a great fish that he would not be able to keep.




We made it to Countryside Bible about 20 minutes before evening service, which was wonderful as it gave us a bit of time to greet some friend we have not seen for some time. The service itself was a children’s choir program, which was well done – “Roamin’ through Romans” and was essentially a walk through the gospel presentation of the book of Romans. Admittedly however, we were a bit distracted as this was our first contact with a Wyatt baby. Laura had not seen baby Caleb (Jake’s and Candace’s new arrival) before she was holding him and did so through about half of the service before I finally got to do so. What a good baby – at least for us through the service – sleeping away, waking up only ever so slightly to give us a peek of his eyes only to see them roll back up and then close again. Such tiny little hands and feet. I can hardly believe that mine were once that small!






On top of this, I had a revelation, one that brought both joy and showed me my age. As I held baby Caleb, I was remembering many years back now when I once held baby Jake. Not any bigger than Caleb with nothing but a future ahead of him. And now, in a few months, that baby I held so many years ago will be partnering with me in ministry, as an intern, as a man of God, at Hope Community Bible Church along with his family. Where does the time go?

After service we made some arrangements with the Ryans (Bryan and Carla) to meet up with them after our Baseball game (Rangers vs. Angels) for dinner. After dinner Luke and Beth will go with the Ryan children (the oldest of which I once held in my arms and is now driving!) to play “Ultimate Frisbee” (also known more simply as Frisbee Football). I think that the “senior Wyatts” will come over for dessert.



Laura and Carla Ryan

Speaking of the senior Wyatts (it seems hard to say that, particularly due to the fact that when I first saw Sue last night at the church, she was standing amid a sea of children who made up the choir for the service and she appeared to fit right in – don’t know that I could say the same of Rocky!) – anyway, Rocky and Sue are doing well and set us up nicely in their wonderful new home. We ordered pizza and visited with them as well as with Jake, Candace and Caleb. At about 11 pm we called it quits and settled in for a good night’s rest.





I can’t believe how blessed I am – the Lord’s granting me such wonderful friends, so warm and hospitable, such wonderful memories and along with such wonderful hope for the future. I am certainly unworthy of it all – and yet, in Christ, I am to enjoy it all to His glory.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Ed

No comments: