Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Luke's 15th Birthday

Today is the big day - no I am not referring to my oral surgery - rather to my son's 15th Birthday. I can't believe that it has been 15 years since my firstborn, Luke, came into the world.

We had originally planned to have some festivities tonight, but had to change them up a bit since I will most likely be down and out. Last night we went to "On the Border" - a plane that we had not been to as a family. Luke had referred a friend to his orthodontist and receive a $25 gift card, which allowed us to "go all out" having an appetizer as well as a desert. We had fun and Luke was well-pleased. We came home and Luke opened one of his presents, a game called, "In a Pickle" where the object is to use one of five word cards in your hand and make it fit in to one of the word cards on the table. It was hilarious - we laughed so hard. I know that I will not be playing that game tonight. It would be painful, especially if I started laughing again.

Laura and I went in to sing "Happy Birthday" to our son about 6:30 am. We have traditionally done this at 1:30 am (his birth time) but felt last night that I should get a full night's sleep. Tonight some family will come over for hamburgers (I get tomato soup!) as we continue the birthday festivities. And then, on Thursday, our church is having what we call "F.U.N." or Family Unity Night. We hold these on the last Thursday of every month from January through October with a different family hosting the event. The Godfrey's are hosting this one in honor of Luke's special day. The theme - breakfast, Luke's favorite meal as everyone will be bringing breakfast items and we will cook up a mess of pancakes. It looks like Luke's birthday will be a week long event - but then again, he's worth it.

Well, that's my post. I need to get ready for the joys of dental surgery. But as one has already exhorted me, a post entitled "Dental Joys" should soon follow. However, I commented that "Dental Joys" seems to be a contradiction in terms - so now it is called "Post-Dental Joys." (As a pre-mil guy, I never thought I would be "post" anything)! I will stop with the mixing of dentistry and eschatology as I am sure the two have nothing in common.

Happy Birthday Luke! Have a blessed day!

Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Ed

No comments: