Thursday, February 22, 2007

Dental Update

Thanks be to God – I am back up (even if not yet running). The oral surgery took about an hour (an apicoectomy on top and a full boney wisdom tooth extraction on the bottom. What was really exciting is right when they called me back to go into surgery, one of the nurses called me aside and told me I needed to be aware that I had a greater chance than not of having permanent nerve damage in my lower jaw because the wisdom tooth and pressed right up against. Not the most encouraging thing to hear as you are going in. But, what am I supposed to do – the alternatives were not so great.

The apicoectomy went well, as well as the wisdom tooth extraction. The wisdom tooth was the real bother. The doctor had to shave several layers of my jawbone to access the tooth. He did get it all and told me that I would be hurting for several days. It has now been just over 48 hours since the surgery and I still cannot feel my teeth in my lower right jaw, or the right side of my tongue. At this point, we don’t know if it will only be temporary or permanent. It is a weird sensation.

Speaking of weird sensations, my wife also developed an abscess over on of her root canalled teeth, saw the doctor and guess what! She has to have one of these apicoectomies on this coming Tuesday. When it rains, it pours. At least the apicoectomy is not nearly as bad as the root canal itself – just take a little longer to heal.

Now I need to work on getting my head back into work. Having been filled with painkillers, all the words seem a bit jumpy. But this too will pass. For now, I am simply thankful that it is over and I can heal. There then is my update.

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Ed

p.s. - I am still working on the "Post-Dental Joys" post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pleased to read that it all went ok.

I must admit I did look at the title of your post first. :-)

Hope that you are feeling good soon and that your wife's goes ok too. What an experience to share....

Cheers, Wilm