Friday, February 23, 2007

Dental Curiosities

I find myself still quite slowed by my dental experience. Just moments before I was to go into the room for surgery, the nurse came up to me and said matter of fact – “You know that this procedure will probably result in permanent nerve damage to your lower jaw.” I was a bit stunned. Previously I had been told that such as a possibility, but now I was told that I should expect it. But what was I to do? I had to have the procedure done.

When I was in the surgical room, I asked if any permanent nerve damage would hinder my ability to speak (being a preacher and all). Thankfully I was told no – I was only to expect a lose of feeling or tingling in my lower jaw and possibly on the tip of my tongue and that this could possibly only be temporary (a few days to a few weeks) or permanent.

Well, I am over seventy-two hours past my surgery and I have no feeling in my lower jaw and teeth along with the right third of my tongue all tingly. And while I am preparing myself to always be this way, I am praying that it will be healed as it is quite distracting. It is strange to only feel liquid running down half your tongue and not to be able to feel your teeth when you chew. I might best describe the sensation on my tongue this way – have you ever really burned your tongue on hot chocolate or coffee? That’s the way my tongue now feels. I am amazed at how often I notice it.

Please pray for me. If this is the way the Lord would have it – that I would have the grace to not let it bother me. I know there are much worse things to endure in this life. But I also pray for a restoration of the nerves. Whatever best glorifies the Lord.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Ed

p.s. - I am still working on "Post-Dental Joys"

No comments: