Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Preparing to Worship on the Lord’s Day

Some time back I posted an article on Sanctification of the Lord's Day. This article was based on some things I had consider some years back. When I originally wrote that, it caused my wife (Laura) to reflect on some things as well. Below are her thoughts - may they inspire some thinking upon all those who read -

A while back my family and I sat down to watch a 1971 musical; Norman Jewison’s Fiddler on the Roof. It was touching to watch it with it rich Jewish traditions and family roles. One particular tradition that was very thought provoking for me was the care that was taken in preparation for the Sabbath. As evening approached, each family member prepared; Papa tried to quickly get finished with his work so he could be home; Mama prepared the meal and the table; the girls helped Mama and all of them had to dress appropriately for dinner. Before the meal, they lit special candles and they said a special Sabbath prayer. The scene served to remind me of how important it is to prepare ourselves for worship on the Lord’s Day.

A few years back, my husband (Ed) came across a 1664 Puritan work entitled The Directory of Public Worship of God. It put into words things my husband had believed about the Lord’s Day for years. In this work there is an article called, Of the Sanctification of the Lord’s Day with these convictions:

“The Lord’s Day ought to be so remembered beforehand, as that all worldly business of our ordinary callings may be so ordered, and so timely and seasonably laid aside, as they many not be impediments to the due sanctifying of the Day when it comes."

The confirmation of our convictions led us to pray about adjustments that needed to be made to our lifestyle, because I certainly had “impediments” when it came to setting apart the Lord’s Day as holy.

First and foremost, preparation for the Lord’s Day must begin before Sunday! Most of us know that Jewish tradition begins the new day in the evening. After all, when God separated the light from the darkness, He called the light “day”, and the darkness He called “night” – “and there was evening and there was morning, one day” (Genesis 1:4-5). If God started with the evening, it makes sense that His people would too. SO, Saturday night has to be our time of preparation.

Second, the Lord’s Day should be holy and set apart from all other days of the week. It was so according to the Scriptures –

For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy (Exodus 20:11).

It order to make our Lord’s Day (Sunday – the celebration of the Risen Christ) “set apart” – we try to limit what we do and where we are on Sunday. Our focus through the day is to worship in the Lord’s House and to worship with the Lord’s people in a different manner than we might do the rest of the week.

You’re probably wondering what we’ve done that has changed our lifestyle. The most significant changes are our commitments to –

(1) Be home on Saturday nights;

(2) Be prepared for Sunday Services; and

(3) Be prepared for Sunday afternoons.

Now, being home Saturday nights doesn’t mean that occasionally we won’t attend a Birthday party we’ve been invited to, or a special Bible Conference of some kind – but most Saturday nights we spend at home preparing for the Lord’s Day. So, when we go to places on Saturdays, we make every effort to be home in the early evening. Preparing for Sunday Services means making sure laundry is done so clothes can be picked out; preparing our hearts through prayer and study/mediation of the Word; and getting to bed early so we’ll be fresh Sunday morning.

The commitment that has changed me the most, however, is preparing for Sunday afternoons. Sunday afternoons used to be hectic for me. After church, we’d have to make a decision about where we wanted to eat and who we might eat with. If we decided to eat at home (or if there was no money to eat out), I’d decide then what I would fix and if I had everything I needed in order to fix it. After fixing, eating and cleaning up lunch, I’d be exhausted and then it was time to go back to church for evening services.

But now the schedule has me preparing ahead so that I can better focus my mind on things of the Lord on His Day. Part of our convictions about Sunday afternoons is that now, we eat our lunch at home (or at someone else’s home). It’s not that we never go out to eat on Sunday, but if we do eat out, it is with the realization that someone has to wait on us and that means we’re contributing to that person not setting apart the Lord’s Day as holy. Now that I know we’ll be eating at home on Sundays, I plan ahead. As often as possible, I cook my Sunday meals on Saturday. If I must cook on Sunday, I keep it simple (sandwiches, soups, egg rolls, etc. – and the ever faithful Crock-Pot). Since we have several young singles, I usually make extra in case someone else comes home with us.

Other preparations for Sunday afternoons are about what I don’t do on Sunday. I don’t do laundry, windows, or toilets. That means all has to be done by Saturday. If something is left undone, it has to wait until Monday. Sunday is completely different from the other days. What a blessing it has been to peacefully get ready for church on Sunday morning and contentedly enjoy Sunday afternoons.

Now, I don’t’ know if you have the same convictions my husband and I have (nor do I presume you must); nor do I know if my preparations will work for you – but one thing I do know, the Lord’s Day is different – it is holy. Make a commitment to “set apart” the Lord’s Day, receiving a blessing for yourself and for your family. Determine today to practice your convictions and demonstrate to all who know you that you have properly prepared yourself for worship. Prepare in advance both your heart and your home so that you can enjoy the Lord’s Day.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Written by Laura Godfrey

1 comment:

g said...

Thanks, I needed the reminder the set apart the Lord's day. It is amazing how quickly we forget.
Jon