Tuesday, January 09, 2007

On the Lighter Side

It's been one of those days. Not that it has been a bad day. No, it has been one of those days when there has been plenty of business, yet, at the end of it all, I didn't seem to really accomplish much. There was a highlight - and that was when I was invited to lunch with a couple of the men from the church. It is a good thing that I went. I am one of those kinds of people that does not like loose ends. This morning my big goal for the day (outside the regular pastoral routine) was to change the name servers on the church's website. Now changing the name servers on a website might either sound easy to some or difficult to others. The concept is not difficult. However, the original companies that I signed the church up with all had different login ID's and passwords. And while I was faithful to write all this down and put it in a file, for some reason, I could not find the file. Therefore, I spent much time simply looking for the file - to no avail. So then, I had to rely on my memory (no wise cracks).

Believe it or not, I remembered all the needed ID's and passwords - save for one - the most needed and important one - the one that would allow me to change the name servers (of course). So then, I had to call some tech support, wait on the phone for about 15 minutes, and then explain what I needed. The tech was helpful, but had to place a request for another department to send me the needed ID and password; something she said should come within an hour or two. This is what I was anxiously waiting for when the invitation for lunch came. If I had not gone, I would have simply stared at the computer waiting for the email, contemplating the old axiom, "A watched pot does not boil."

So, off to lunch and a blessed time of fellowship with the men. When I came back to the office, assuming, of course, that the email would be there, I was disappointed - no email. I worked through the afternoon trying not to think about it, devoting myself to more important endeavors, but I kept waiting for the familiar email "ding" on the computer. I received several email, but none were from the tech.

Now I am home, trying to enjoy some time with the family. Hopefully I can put the anticipated email out of my head until tomorrow. I wonder what tomorrow will bring? Maybe I had better go and mediate on Matthew 6:34 -

"So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Ed

No comments: