Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Walking in a Manner Worthy

"Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called..." (Ephesians 4:1).

Truly one of the more trying aspects of Christianity is self-examination. There is just something about comparing oneself to the perfection of Christ that causes mental anguish – either because one see himself as being truly vile and in desperate need of the grace of Christ, or, on the other side, one see himself as not being “so” bad, thinking that such self-examination unprofitable.

I long to be like Christ and I thank the LORD that this is His ultimate purpose for me (Romans 8:29). But I confess, I need help. I need to be accountable to brothers and sisters in Christ who are likewise committed to sanctification.

One of my heroes of Church History is George Whitefield. So powerful was the ministry of Whitefield that Horatius Bonar made this simple declaration, “Oh, for one day of Whitefield again!” While he was just a man and more precisely, a sinner, Whitefield was a man of passion, endurance and love for the Lord. So, I believe that anything that I might learn and then emulate from this man will draw me closer to Christ. The other day I came across an article entitled simply, “Twenty-two Questions.” These are the questions that Whitefield and Wesley asked themselves every day in their private devotions. It is my intention to post only a handful a day for a couple of days that I (and anyone who reads this) might contemplate them more carefully and fully. May these spark deeper love and devotion to Christ. May these help us identify sinful tendencies in our lives so that we might experience more of the fullness of life and joy that Jesus secured for us (John 10:10).

1. Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression than I am better than I really am? In other words, am I a hypocrite?

2. Am I honest in all my acts and words, or do I exaggerate?

3. Do I confidentially pass on to another what I was told to me in confidence?

4. Can I be trusted?

5. Am I a slave to dress, friends, work or habits?


Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Ed

No comments: