Saturday, June 03, 2006

Luke 11:46

So - how about it? How many of you know what Luke 11:46 says? I must admit that when I saw the bumper sticker in front of me that said nothing but "Luke 11:46" I was intrigued. "What could it say?" I thought to myself. Being slightly shocked and almost embarrassed that I could not recall the significance of Luke 11:46 (particularly because my daughter was with me and asked what it said), I found my mind racing to figure it out. Remember that I am in the car at the time.

Trying to think through the outline of Luke in my head I got to chapter 11 and recalled the Lord's Prayer and some parables, but I could not get further (back to Bible class for me!). Then I had my daughter get my Bible and read for me Luke 11:46, thinking or course that once I heard the verse, the point would be understood. Well, my daughter read it to me and upon conclusion we both looked at each other as if to say, "Huh?" I am not sure what this person's point was and if there is anyone who might want to venture a guess as to why someone would have a bumper sticker that says nothing but "Luke 11:46" please enlighten me.

And yes, I know that I have not included in this post Luke 11:46. I thought it best if you looked it up for yourself.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Ed

6 comments:

N. L. White said...

I don't suppose it could be as simple as "I don't like lawyers" could it?

Annette said...

obviously someone with issues with lawyers and wanting to be discrete about it perhaps.

Michael Terry, Jr. said...

The NIV renders it this way...

"Jesus replied, "And you experts in the law, woe to you, because you load people down with burdens they can hardly carry, and you yourselves will not lift one finger to help them."

It is an anti-goverment bumper sticker. Some Moral Majority, right wing wacko's came up with this idea. I can't find the exact organization

Pastor Ed Godfrey said...

It seems to me that if a person wanted to communicate that he didn't like lawyers, he would not be so veiled? What is he afraid of? Being sued?

N. L. White said...

In a heartbeat

Pastor Ed Godfrey said...

Pastor Ed,

I read your blog today from Saturday. I looked up this verse. I can not post on your blog since I do not have a "blog" account. So, I would like to send this note to you and if you would like to post this to your blog, you have my permission to do so.

The reference in question states in my notes from my Life Application Bible (NLV) says " These "demands" were the details the Pharisees had added to God's law. To the commandment, "Remember to observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy" (Exodus 20:8), for example, they had added instructions regarding how far a person could walk on the Sabbath, which kinds of knots could be tied, and how much weight could be carried. Healing a person was considered unlawful work on the Sabbath, although rescuing a trapped animal was permitted (14:5). No wonder Jesus condemned their additions to the law."

So for someone to use this verse as a bumper sticker, this person might even be a lawyer and doesn't like being one?

Your sister in Christ,

Julie