Wednesday, May 10, 2006

A Paradox

A paradox is a statement that is seemingly contradictory or opposed to common sense and yet is perhaps true. Life is full of paradoxes. I was speaking with one of the men in the church about the Christian life and we spoke of the need to be humble and broken before the LORD and how this leads to great joy. As it is written,

Psalm 51:17
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.

And yet, this humility, brokenness and repentance is not seen in this text, or in the rest of Scripture, as “a downer.” Notice, “O God, You will not despise.” There is a joy, a fullness; an overflowing of grace and life that comes from such brokenness and contriteness – a realization that God does not despise such an attitude. Rather, such an attitude is received and blessed by the LORD. As it is written,

Psalm 32:1-5
1 How blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered! 2 How blessed is the man to whom the LORD does not impute iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit! 3 When I kept silent about my sin, my body wasted away through my groaning all day long. 4 For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me; My vitality was drained away as with the fever heat of summer. Selah. 5 I acknowledged my sin to You, And my iniquity I did not hide; I said, " I will confess my transgressions to the LORD"; And You forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah.

Psalm 28:7
The LORD is my strength and my shield; My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped; Therefore my heart exults, And with my song I shall thank Him.

The paradox is that genuine brokenness and contriteness of heart is the true path to a joyous, God-exulting life. You might recall a time in Israel’s history when the people were broken and contrite, yet we read the command:

Nehemiah 8:9-10
9 Then Nehemiah, who was the governor, and Ezra the priest and scribe, and the Levites who taught the people said to all the people, " This day is holy to the LORD your God; do not mourn or weep." For all the people were weeping when they heard the words of the law. 10 Then he said to them, "Go, eat of the fat, drink of the sweet, and send portions to him who has nothing prepared; for this day is holy to our Lord. Do not be grieved, for the joy of the LORD is your strength."

O LORD, teach us the delicate balance of manifesting a broken spirit and contrite heart and yet may it result in an exuberant joy that draws attention to You – not to self; that magnifies Your goodness and not our wickedness.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Ed

1 comment:

4given said...

Just reading the following hymn caused me to be broken before my Lord:

OH, TO SEE THE DAWN(The Power of the Cross)

Oh to see the dawn
Of the darkest day:
Christ on the road to Calvary.
Tried by sinful men,
Torn and beaten, then
Nailed to a cross of wood.

This, the power of the cross:
Christ became sin for us.
Took the blame, bore the wrath -
We stand forgiven at the cross.

Oh, to see the pain
Written on Your face,
Bearing the awesome weight of sin.
Every bitter thought,
Every evil deed
Crowning Your bloodstained brow.

Now the daylight flees,
Now the ground beneath
Quakes as its Maker bows His head.
Curtain torn in two,
Dead are raised to life;
‘Finished!’ the victory cry.

Oh, to see my name
Written in the wounds,
For through Your suffering I am free.
Death is crushed to death,
Life is mine to live,
Won through Your selfless love.

(Final chorus)
This, the power of the cross:
Son of God - slain for us.
What a love! What a cost!
We stand forgiven at the cross.

Keith Getty & Stuart Townend
Copyright © 2005 Thankyou Music