Friday, May 05, 2006

Free Will

Okay, so it has been a while since I have posted anything of significance. I do have one excuse, well, actually two. First, I have been unable to connect to the internet at work for four days (what a mess)! Second, I have had a head cold (do you all feel sorry for me?).

Anyway, I thought I would get back into the groove as it were by simply offering a quote that I recently read by Augustus Toplady (who penned the hymn, "Rock of Ages"). He said,

"A man's free will cannot cure him even of a toothache or a sore finger, and yet he madly thinks it is in his power to cure his soul of sin. Actually, the greatest judgment which God Himself can in this present life inflict upon a man is to leave that man in the hand of HIS OWN BOASTING FREE-WILL!"

I leave this post with the words of another Toplady hymn that speaks to the praise we ought to have to our God who has graciously redeemed us from own sinful natures and is making us like unto our Savior!


A DEBTOR TO MERCY ALONE

A debtor to mercy alone, of covenant mercy I sing;
Nor fear, with Thy righteousness on, my person and off’ring to bring.
The terrors of law and of God with me can have nothing to do;
My Savior’s obedience and blood hide all my transgressions from view.

The work which His goodness began,
The arm of His strength will complete;
His promise is Yea and Amen, and never was forfeited yet.
Things future, nor things that are now, nor all things below or above,
Can make Him His purpose forgo, or sever my soul from His love.

My name from the palms of His hands eternity will not erase;
Impressed on His heart it remains, in marks of indelible grace.
Yes, I to the end shall endure, as sure as the earnest is giv’n;
More happy, but not more secure, the glorified spirits in Heav’n.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Pastor Ed

No comments: